Tuesday, August 4, 2009

55

"Marci," the voice whispered. "Marci?"

"Leave me alone."

"I just wanted to say I was sorry."

***

"Marci?" The voice was patient, but insistent. "Marci?"

"What?"

"I'm sorry."

"I don't believe you."

"I know, but I'm still sorry."

***

"Do you forgive me?"

"You don't want to be forgiven. You just want to make me forgive you. You are still trying to control me. You don't, so forget it."

"That's not what I want. I just want you to know I'm sorry."

"And that you won't try to scare me again?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry."

Marci straightened up. "No. Say it. Say that you won't try to scare me again."

"Now who's being controlling?"

"Don't turn this around on me. You're the one grovelling." Marci felt triumphant. "If you're really sorry, then you'd say you won't try to scare me again."

***

"Well?" Marci waited again, her confident smirk fading. Suddenly she was afraid again.

No comments:

Post a Comment