Thursday, February 19, 2015

Pageant Question 4: What motivates you?

Schadenfreude is the German word for "joy from the pain of others".  What motivates me is not quite schadenfreude, but it could be a cousin.  I am motivated by others trying and not being very good.  I am motivated by two different results from others not being very good, one: when they're horrible but they think they're awesome; and two: when they're not perfect, but their enthusiasm and love for what they do makes it work.  Since I am a performer, I look to other performers for these "schaden-motivators".

You probably agree that anyone who takes an 8-week class in any subject area will not be an expert by the time the class is done.  Eight classes, maybe two hours each, is not enough to train someone to be an artist, a musician, or an actor.  Unfortunately, too many people who take an 8-week improvisational comedy class think they are ready for paid gigs.  No.  No.  No.  Please, no.  I don't care what the skill is, 16 hours is not enough to master the subject.  I can only imagine painters feel the same way about people who take a community ed. oil painting class think it's enough to open their own exhibit.  With over fifteen years of improv experience, I wonder how these people have come to believe they know it all when I certainly don't!  There is always more to learn, more to practice, more to experience.  These are bad improvisers, and the worst part is that they don't know it.  And yet... they book shows.  They advertise.  They get an audience.  Maybe not a repeat audience, but an audience.  They teach classes!  How can I NOT get up off my duff and work when these people are getting it done?  I use them as motivation to actually use my experience and knowledge.  If they can make it work without any, I can certainly make it work.  My "schaden-motivation" is not solely from under-skilled people who don't understand they're not good.  I also look to those who are skilled, but who are not perfect.

"Perfect is the enemy of good," means that if I wait for perfection, I won't get anything done and I'll never even have the chance to be good.  I am motivated by performers who let it all hang out, even if they are flawed.  These performers don't have the most beautiful singing voices, or they'll mess up, or they will never be the most technically proficient in their field, but they throw their hearts and souls into their work, and it shows.  Their love and enthusiasm make up for any lacks, and these performers can be among the most famous in the world.  One of my personal favorites in music is Steve Winwood--from Traffic, Blind Faith, and Spencer Davis Group.  I love Steve Winwood, and one reason I love him even more is because his voice is not the most beautiful.  I'm sure he wouldn't make it through any talent reality show audition these days, but I love to listen to him in all his imperfect perfection.  Steve Winwood motivates me to just go for it, even if I'm not going to be the best.  If I put my heart and soul into it, I can make up for any number of flaws.  If I hold back, or wait until I'm "perfect", I will get nothing.

My motivation lies in others' failure and in others' flawed success.  While "schaden-motivation" requires me to have joy in imperfection, I don't mean for it to be cruel.  I won't root for failure, and I won't hunt for flaws.  I will, however, push myself into action so I, too, have the chance to fail, and I, too, have the chance for my flaws to be out there for the world to see.  If they can do it, I can, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment